Check out these recommended books.
Permanent link to this article: http://www.retirementsingularity.com/resources/
Subscribe to Blog
Like Us On Facebook
- Big Data Is Helping Us See Environmental Problems in a Whole New Light January 23, 2017You don’t have to be a member of Greenpeace to see that the planet, its ecosystems and its wildlife are under threat. Climate change, deforestation, ocean acidification, pollution—the list of human-caused insults to the environment is long. It’s the classic problem of being unable to see the forest for the trees. However, in the last […]Peter Rejcek
- Could Having Too Much Become a Bigger Problem Than Having Too Little? January 22, 2017Years ago I traveled to Juarez, Mexico for work, staying across the border in El Paso, Texas and driving back and forth each day. On the Texas side, American life bustled on as usual: wide, well-maintained highways hummed with orderly traffic. Most of the cars were less than a decade old. Strip malls and recently-constructed […]Vanessa Bates Ramirez
- This Week’s Awesome Stories From Around the Web (Through January 21) January 21, 2017ARTIFICIAL INTELLIGENCE Microsoft Thinks Machines Can Learn to Converse by Making Chat a Game Cade Metz | WIRED "For Microsoft, winning the game of conversation means winning an enormous market. Natural language could streamline practically any computer interface. With this in mind, the company is already building an army of chatbots, but so far, the […]Alison E. Berman
- Robots May Steal Our Jobs, but Not as Quickly as We Thought January 20, 2017Fear of job loss to automation is growing, with each announcement of exciting technological progress generating a backlash from those who could end up unemployed because of it. Amazon Go is eliminating the need for cashiers. Self-driving vehicles won’t need truckers and cabbies at their wheels. Artificial intelligence is beginning to diagnose disease, perform surgery, […]Vanessa Bates Ramirez
- Designer Babies Dilemma in Sharp Focus With Fast Moving Fertility Tech January 19, 2017Moral panic around “designer babies” is nothing new, but rapid advances in technology that allows adult cells to be reprogrammed into sperm and egg cells could bring the issue into sharp focus. Since the 90s it has been common practice to genetically profile embryos used in in vitro fertilization (IVF) treatment. This is done largely […]Edd Gent
- Terasem Colloquium in Second Life on the Law of Futuristic Persons December 11, 2016The 2016 edition of the Terasem Annual Colloquium on the Law of Futuristic Persons was held in Second Life — Terasem sim — on Saturday, December 10, 2016. The Colloquium had two main themes: “Legal Aspects of Futuristic Persons: Cyber-Humans,” and “A Tribute to the ‘Father of Artificial Intelligence,’ Marvin Minsky, PhD.” Each year on […]
- Science Vs. Cinema: ARRIVAL November 29, 2016We take a look at Denis Villeneuve’s latest film ARRIVAL, with one-on-one conversations with stars Amy Adams and Jeremy Renner, author Ted Chiang and screenwriter Eric Heisserer. To evaluate the science we talked to Mathematica creator Stephen Wolfram, SETI astronomer Seth Shostak, and linguist Jessica Coon. — Andy Howell, PhD, Science Vs. Cinema, Staff Scientist […]
- HUMANS Season 2: Waking Up November 18, 2016AMC. Premiering February 2017.
- book tour calendar | New graphic novel by Amy Kurzweil called Flying Couch October 21, 2016Dear Readers, My daughter Amy Kurzweil is a graphic novelist working as a teacher and writer, exploring human perspective and the idea of human identity. Here is the calendar for her current book tour for her new graphic novel called Flying Couch: A Graphic Memoir. The comics are hand drawn. You can see her and […]
- Dimensions: Cosmic Eye HD August 27, 2016Danail Obreschkow This movie was generated using the iOS App “Cosmic Eye“, written by Danail Obreschkow at the International Centre for Radio Astronomy Research at the University of Western Australia. This app draws inspiration from a progression of increasingly accurate graphical representations of the scales of our Universe, including the classical essay “Cosmic View” (1957), […]